These fun hair clips are great accents for kids or grownup hairdos. They are fast & easy gifts and could do dual duty as an ornament or gift decoration.
Finished Sizes: 4″-5″ (10.16cm-12.70cm)
- Dual Duty XP All-purpose threads, coordinating colors
- 3 alligator hair clips, 1 3/4″ (4.45cm)
- Craft glue
- Hand sewing needle
- 3″ x 8″ (7.62cm-20.32cm) green felt
- Fusible web
- 3 red buttons, 1/4″ (.64cm) or less
- Holly template
- Chalk marker
- 1/2″ x 10″ (1.27cm x 25.40cm) red and white felt
- 6″ (15.24cm) square white organza
- Jingle Bells:
- 9″ (22.86cm) grosgrain ribbon, 1 1/4″ (3.18cm)
- 3 jingle bells, 3/4″ (1.80cm)
- 3 1/2″ (8.89cm) circle red/white/green cotton print fabric
- 10″ (25.40cm) satin ribbon, 1/16″ (.16cm)
Assembling the Holly Clip
- Cut out the holly template.
- Fold the felt to make a 3″ x 4″ (7.62cm x 10.16cm) piece and press the crease. Slide a 3″ x 4″ (7.62cm x 10.16cm) rectangle of fusible web between the layers and fuse, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Chalk-mark the holly leaf outline using the template. Double stitch along the marked lines, and stitch veins and a stem in the interior. Trim the felt just outside the outer stitching lines.
- Sew the buttons to the base of the holly leaf.
- Glue the leaf to the alligator clip.
Assembling the Candy Wrap Clip
- Lay the red felt strip on top of the white felt strip and roll tightly. Add a drop of glue to both layers at the end of the wrap.
- Gather the center of the organza square and pull up tightly.
- Sew the rolled felt to the center of the organza over the gathering threads.
- Glue the assembly to the alligator clip.
- Trim the organza edges to the desired bow width.
Assembling the Jingle Bell Clip
- Fold the grosgrain ribbon to make a 4″ (10.16cm) bow, overlapping the ribbon ends at the center.
- Gather the center of the ribbon and pull tightly; tie off thread ends.
- To make the yo-yo, cut a 3″ (7.62cm) circle of the fabric print. Turn under the edges 1/4″ (.64cm) and press. Run a gathering thread around the edge and pull up tightly. Tie off the threads.
- Thread the jingle bells onto the small satin ribbon and adjust the loops to staggered lengths. Sew together across the top. Hand-stitch the bell loops to the underside of the yo-yo.
- Sew the yo-yo over the bow center.
- Glue the bow assembly to the alligator clip.
About the Author
Linda Griepentrog is a writer, editor and designer who lives in Bend, Oregon with her husband (a long arm quilter) and dog, Frank. She loves all things fabric! Linda also leads fabric shopping tours to Hong Kong. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.